Australian Consulate-General
Papeete, French Polynesia

Assistance to Canadian citizens

Under the Consular Sharing Agreement with Canada, the Australian Consulate-General in Papeete provides consular assistance to Canadian citizens in French Polynesia. For urgent assistancefor Canadian citizens during business hours, please email [email protected]. At any time, you may also contact the 24/7 Canadian Emergency Watch and Response Center in Ottawa (email:  [email protected] – phone +1 613 996 8885 with call collect accepted where available). 

Due to COVID-19, travel restrictions are in effect in Canada, and they are subject to change at short notice. Foreign travellers are eligible to enter or return to Canada if they qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller. Canadian authorities recommend foreign travellers check if they qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller and read the additional information available on the Canadian website Immigration and Citizenship – Who can travel to Canada.

Canadian authorities advise Canadian citizens must enter Canada on a Canadian passport if arriving by air.

Canadian authorities invite Canadian citizens travelling or living overseas to register their details on the Canadian consular registrar.

Regarding visa enquiries for Canadian citizens travelling overseas, Canadian authorities advise every foreign country or territory decides who can enter or exit through its borders and that Canadian authorities cannot intervene on your behalf if you do not meet your destination’s entry or exit requirements. For information on visa and entry requirements applicable to Canadian citizens, Canadian authorities advise to check these requirements with the Foreign Representatives in Canada.

Canadian citizens living in French Polynesia and requiring official documents, including Canadian passports, should contact the Consular and Passport Section of the Canadian High Commission in Wellington for assistance. Check out also the Canadian travel advice for French Polynesia.

Please note the Consular Sharing Agreement with Canada does not extend to foreign nationals needing information on or assistance with Canadian visas, transits, immigration, biometric data collection, work, study, taxation, trade or social security. These matters are managed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Foreign nationals requiring information on Canada should consult the websites of the Government of Canada and of the IRCC, or contact the Immigration and Citizenship Service of the Canadian Consulate-General in Sydney, Australia (email: [email protected] – phone: +61 2 9364 3000). Please note the mailboxes of the Immigration and Citizenship Services work on a triage basis. If your request requires urgent attention, please mark URGENT in your email subject. Please also contact your airline or travel agent for assistance as well as your diplomatic or consular representation in Canada.

The Australian Consulates-General in Papeete cannot provide advice on Canadian visa-immigration including eTAs and transit visas, biometric data collection, work permits or employment, taxation, social security, trade or study enquiries. These matters are managed by IRCC. Foreign nationals should contact IRCC services directly for advice and assistance.