Australian Consulate-General
Papeete, French Polynesia

Travelling to Australia

Immigration and Border Protection (Visas, Citizenship and Customs)

The Australian Consulate-General in Papeete does not process visa or citizenship applications or enquiries.

Information on visas, citizenship and border protection (including customs) is available from the Australian Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs). See also our page on Immigration, Citizenship and Border Protection.

For information on what to expect at the border and what you can bring into the country, refer to the Home Affairs website page on Entering Australia.

Covid-19 - Must read information and instructions for Australia

Since 18 April 2022, travellers to Australia are no longer required to undertake a COVID-19 pre-departure test before boarding their flight. However, transit destinations, cruise ships and airlines may have additional requirements in place and travellers should contact their airline about the requirements for their specific flight.

From 6 July 2022, travellers to Australia no longer need to declare their vaccination status and no longer complete a Digital Passenger Declaration (DPD) to enter Australia. See Smartraveller for more information.

Please refer the Department of Home Affairs updates on immigration and entry requirements for those coming to Australia, including for the immediate family of Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia and foreign nationals needing to come to Australia or transit Australia. Travellers needing assistance with visa should contact Home Affairs by visiting Home Affairs website or phoning the Global Service Centre.

All travellers arriving in or transiting through Australia also need to check the website of the relevant State or Territory government as Australian States and territories can have their own requirements.

Masks are mandatory for all international flights, including within airports. All travellers should read the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) statement on safe air travel – enhancing end-to-end mitigations – international.

Travellers should also keep up to date with all travel restrictions and regulations both in Australia and overseas and should follow the advice of local authorities as measures and regulations can be subject to change at short notice.

COVID-19 pre-departure tests can be undertaken in French Polynesia at the Institut Louis Malarde – Fare COVID (location: corner of Rue des Poilus Tahitiens and Rue du 5 Mars 1797, email: [email protected], phone: +689 40 41 64 72 / +689 40 41 64 16 / +689 40 41 64 69). Further information is available on the website of the Institut Louis Malarde. For other COVID-19 PCR testing centres in French Polynesia, including prices and processes, please check the COVID-19 testing information for travellers returning from the Islands of Tahiti on the website of Tahiti Tourisme.

Driving in Australia

Information on driving and licence regulations in Australia, can be found at Transport and Licences in Australia

You can obtain an international driving licence from the relevant authorities in your country (in French Polynesia at Direction des Transports Terrestres).

Biosecurity and Quarantine

When you’re travelling overseas​ or importing items, you need to know that some items can’t be brought back with you and for others you need to get permission. For a guide to what you can and can't bring in to the country, see Can you bring it in?​​​​​​.​

Australia benefits from a unique natural environment due to its geographic isolation. Biosecurity and quarantine measures help protect it.

Australian Biosecurity and Quarantine control luggage and parcels in ports and airports in Australia.  

For further information, please follow the link to the Australian Department of Agriculture and Water Resources.

Jobs in Australia

The Australian Consulate-General in Papeete is not able to assist people in finding employment in Australia, nor with informaiton on visas and immigration, accommodation options or financial, commercial and legal operations. 

A number of websites may be able to assist you.

Back from Australia

If you require a certified copy of your passport as proof of exit from Australia, please consider checking with the relevant Australian authority whether there are local options such as a foreign citizen who holds a particular title or occupation (e.g. notary public, lawyer, police officer, local town hall, etc) who may be accepted as a witness to certify the copy of your passport.

You may also request your international movement records from the Australian Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs).


Plan your trip with the official Tourism Australia website.

For sporting and entertainment events: 


For further information, please check out our Useful Links.